Somethings Wonderful This Way Came

Somethings Wonderful This Way Came
1970's Vintage Caftan in At Play

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Showing and Telling

Recently, I was asked to put together a presentation on Harwood Steiger by a group celebrating historic modern design known as Modern Tucson.  I worked for about a month pulling together known facts and photos.  I titled it, "I AM A HARWOOD STEIGER ADDICT" and structured it loosely on an AA meeting.  It went pretty well.  People laughed in all the right spots and I got lots of applause when it was over.  Enthusiastic folks came dressed in their Steiger garments and others brought their treasured examples to share.  It made me so happy to meet other people who share an appreciation of Harwood Steiger's work and his genius designs.  When my husband and I got into the car, he looked me straight in the eyes and said, "You're a rock star----a real celebrity!"  Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I did feel pretty good about it.

The next day, we drove to Tubac and visited my friend, Nancy Valentine.  She is a tireless promoter of all things Tubac and suggested that the presentation be given again at the Presidio where locals are gearing up for events of cultural interest. Winter is, of course, the high tourist season here and lots of snow birds travel through.  I got on the schedule for a January date and will be presenting in the very town where Harwood Steiger had his studio and shop.  Now, that is truly thrilling.

Yesterday, I was contacted by Alison at Modern Phoenix, who had heard of my Tucson success and she invited me to present in April during their week long celebration.  I couldn't believe it!  Well, yes, I can.  There are so many Harwood Steiger collectors and enthusiasts spread around.  I am honored to help bring the work of this wonderful artist to light.  Incredibly, last night I was contacted by yet another Mid Century Modern Design enthusiast, Mashall Shore, who invited me to present again in November 2014, for Wear Arizona.  When I told my husband about it, he laughed and suggested that I find an agent.  He's so funny.

I am truly thrilled to be able to share my knowledge and love of Harwood Steiger with others.  It makes me feel like I am giving more life to his amazing career and keeping alive his genius.  If you find yourself in Tubac or Phoenix, please plan to attend.  I'll do my very best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment